Friday, July 10, 2009

Dublin to Belfast

Thursday, July 9th
Today we took a train from Dublin (Republic of Ireland) to Belfast (Northern Ireland). As we boarded the train we left the city loaded with gifts in the form of memories and experiences. Our final night in Dublin was spent with Phil and Cheryl. Phil is a master of BBQ. Last week we dined on his amazing ribs and last night on his slowly marinated chicken (and it did not leave a “fowl” taste in the mouth). As the food was exceptionally tasting and fulfilling, more so was our conversation and heart connection with Phil and Cheryl. What an amazing thing it is to sit down with people and discuss the things of life, love and Jesus. We admired the way in which Phil and Cheryl seek to know Jesus and his loving ways. Thank you two for taking the time to be present with us. They were kind enough to dialogue with me about my many questions that were sparked by a book I recently read called “The Tangible Kingdom”.

What I admire about their faith is that they seek to be continually transforming into the likeness of Jesus. They are transparent about their shortcomings and pure in their hearts desire to love God and other people. Thank you for your tangible example of how to love well. You loved us well while we were with you.

Too many times I have been a poor representative/reflection of the heart of Jesus. I apologize to those of you that have seen a poor example of the heart of Jesus modeled in my life and in others claiming to represent him. It breaks my heart to know that many people reject Jesus because of the negative things that have been done in his name. I think of the bumper sticker that says something to the effect of “God, save me from your followers”. Or the statement by Gandhi to the effect of loving Jesus and his ways, but being put off by his followers.

We remember that real life and the ways of Jesus will ring true and resonate with what is right and real in our world. When virtues like integrity, sacrifice, simplicity, risk, adventure, benevolence and justice are present there you will find tangible representations of the ways of Christ. I am convicted of the ways I have been overly religious and judgmental of others. In the coming year I hope to shed the burden of hyper religiosity and judgmental ways that prevent me from loving deeply as Jesus did. It is mind boggling to read about how Jesus befriended people the religious community of his day would reject and exclude.
I am reminded of the main reason why I follow Jesus. It is because I have been seized by the power of his great affection. This great affection was primarily modeled in two ways. The first was in the tangible example of people whose lives were saturated by things like humility, generosity, love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, self-control etc. These people loved me like I never experienced before. When I dug deeper to find out why they were like this I found that they were captured by the love of Christ. The second and most powerful model was in coming to the conclusion that God truly took the wicked things that I had done in my life and paid the penalty for my wrong doings, taking the penalties that I deserved, being killed on a cross. Then he conquered death by rising from the dead on the third day. My only response to a God like this is to give him my life. The result: freedom.

It’s great to tangibly experience God’s love in Phil and Cheryl’s hospitality. Matt & Hailey’s opening their house to us. In John’s undeserved gift of the certificate to a B & B and John’s invitation to have dinner and cup of tea with his family and to observe him letting his daughter curl up in his arms and squeeze her tightly because she wanted cuddle time in the safe and loving arms of her father. And Martin and Tara letting us camp in their field and inviting us in for a cup of tea and some cookies.

1 comment:

  1. Craig: (I think that was your voice in the latest post, if not, please forgive me Mariella). I so appreciate your thoughtful insights. I, too, am now feeling convicted of my approach to God and his people. I want to be a light that shines transparently the love, grace and mercy of God. I want to be kind and tender, a safe place to approach and find peace. Thanks for allowing us to vicariously experience your journey. Amen!

    ReplyDelete