Thursday, December 17, 2009

The First will be Last…

I’ve read Christ’s teachings about the first being last and that it is better to give than to receive. What I did not know was that this teaching may also apply to Chinese Christmas parties. The party was at a local bar where good food and drinks were served. There was also a live band and karaoke. Eventually the people hosting the dinner initiated a group game where prizes could be won. We enthusiastically anticipated the start of the game. What was the game you ask? The first game played with fifty or so people was, guess a number between 1 and 100. It was a crack up. One by one the host went around the room with a mic asking people to guess the number written on the paper, not assisting by saying higher or lower, but just saying no to all incorrect numbers. I said 99 and was wrong, but Mariella guessed 23 and was right. Yes! We will win a prize. After some vigorous cheering from the crowd Mariella waited for the 1st prize. The host held three pieces of paper in her hand and asked Mariella to pick one of them; she picked the middle paper and read the word “show” on it. The host happily announced that the winner gets to sing a song. They were freaking serious. Mariella’s prize was to sing an impromptu song. Man, I’ve never seen someone freeze up so quickly. Talk about pressure. There were a bunch of Chinese and international people looking at her waiting for her to sing. I thought it was the funniest thing ever and was glad that I did not choose the correct number and win the game. Eventually, Mariella panicked and pulled me to the stage. Oh, crap I thought. Like a good husband I got up and walked out to the floor now freezing under the pressure just like Mariella. I was handed a guitar by the band guy. What the heck am I supposed to do with this? Hit the host over the head with it? I wish I could say we picked a fantastic song and sung it with great skill and that the other party members joined in on the singing. The event did not happen like a typical Hollywood movie. Instead, after scrambling to think of a song, we sung the fifties song, “Lolly Pop”. We sung it horribly and we must have looked like complete idiots. We definitely lost the game! After the terrible singing, a few highly intoxicated people clapped for us and we were given a wrapped gift. I thought, at least we get a nice gift. Mariella ran back to the seat and tried burying her face behind me; we eventually un-wrapped the gift at the table and discovered a hard plastic bear bank, probably made in China. Nice! At least we do not need to find a white elephant gift for Friday night’s party. We were first, but were last. We are reminded that sometimes it is better to be last. Especially when playing games at Chinese Christmas parties. Luckily we will never see these people again.

2 comments:

  1. Craig: That is so funny! I can totally envision the whole event the way you wrote it. It reminds me of my sailing trip when we put in at Catalina and went ashore for dinner. We ended up at a bar with karaoke and our captain and the other guys coerced me into singing with him. We ended up singing "Under the Boardwalk" -- but I did the base and he did the higher part. Not so funny. People got up and left the bar, it was so bad. I was so embarrassed, but the guys all reminded me that I would never see those people again and I should just enjoy that I had to be outside my comfort zone. I couldn't get over how I had probably ruined some poor drunk's night. Ha Ha Ha Ha. I am happy to hear that you guys are still having moments outside your comfort zone on your trip (like every minute of every day...:) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is too funny! I wish i could have been there! I'm so surprised it didn't end up like a Hollywood movie. Hee hee! Have fun at your next Christmas Party. xoxo

    ReplyDelete